Friday, April 10, 2009

The Empowerment of Intellect

Since my sophomore year in high school it had been relatively decided by myself and my parents that my career path would follow my mothers and I would become an attorney. I prepared myself to do this by focusing in intellectual skills, mock trial and debate in high school and focused in history and business in college while developing vast networks in the greek system and the ASUO. However as the time came to apply for law schools and actually look at the life that a lawyer leads and what I hoped to accomplish in my life at the moment it became apparent that they did not run congruently. Most of this coming from the reading of what color is my parachute and the marcus buckinham series on business strengths. Much like our prioritization of human values.

What I have battled with for the past few months is finding what will make me happy, satisfied and excited for the next day. My top five: Wisdom, Personal Accomplishment, Prestige, Family and Leadership; accuratly represent the person I hope to become and the person I am today. I am a very competitive person, I love to debate, argue and discuss topics and feel that it is utterly essential to be well read and educated on the issues that you focus on. With that in mind I find it important quite intellectual and thus on the top of your game whatever it ends up being. In the future I hope to hold a successful position, hopefully in venture capitalism and have a lovely family and home. I am not the type to sit back and let things happen, I want to lead. I am driven by accomplishment.

When considering my personal activities today. I woke up at 7 am, showered, shaved, brushed my teeth. I then went to the gym for an hour, attended class and am on my way to the golf course. Golf itself as an activity is a good focal point to my personal values. It requires tremendous practice, skill, and patience. You are the only one who you can blame and so your personal accomplishments are rewarding.

I know that my set of skills are quite congruent with my parents values. However, while they believe more firmly in others than I. They are much more based on family, wisdom and leadership, but as a product of an affluent environment I have developed a need for prestige and wealth. I know that they are not neccessary but part of my values entail the need for recognized success. I have many future goals and know that nothing stands in my way. If my path for finding myself has taught me anything is that I can accomplish anything and has put a me in a state of excitement for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment